Thursday, August 12, 2004

Cribbage, Derbyshire and Seuss

John Derbyshire's ongoing cribbage posts (egged on by yours truly) lend themselves to a Seussian treatment:

Would you play cribbage in a pub? Would you, could you, on a sub?
Would you, could you, play with me? Would you play with two or three?
Would you play it in a jail? Would you play it while you sail?
Would you play it there or here? Would you with John Derbyshire?

I would not play cribbage in a pub. I would not play it on a sub.
I would not play the game with you, whether we are three or two.
I would not, could not, in a jail. I would not, could not, while we sail.
I would not play it there or here, not even with John Derbyshire.

You will not play it, so you say.
Try it, try it! And you may. Try it and you may, I say.

If you will let me be, I will try it. You will see.
Say! I like this game a lot! I do, I do! It hits the spot!
And I would play it in a pub. And I would play it on a sub.
And I will play the game with you, whether we are three or two.
And I will play it in a jail, and I will play it while we sail.
A pair for two and a run adds three, this is so much fun, you see!
So I will play it here and there. I will play it everywhere!
I do so love this game I fear, that I am becoming Derbyshire.

(Hmm. Do you suppose "Derbyshire" rhymes with "here" and "fear"? Or is it "tire"?)

Update: Thanks for the link, John.