Thursday, June 09, 2005

Navasky foreshadows his CJR role

From Victor Navasky's recently published A Matter of Opinion (pp. 404-405):
As for me, I divide my time between publishing The Nation, whose mission seems more urgent than ever, and teaching at Columbia University's Graduate School of Journalism, where the new dean, backed by the president of the university, is bent on transforming the curriculum (and using it as a lever to transform American journalism). He has asked me to take responsibility of the Columbia Journalism Review. This is ironic, since the last time I had anything to do with CJR was when I was helping Dick Pollak and Tony Lukas found MORE, whose mission was to challenge establishment journalism symbolized by, what else?, the Columbia Journalism Review. (And when MORE went out of business in the early 1980s, CJR picked up its subscription list.) We'll see.
(Emphasis mine.)

Interesting.