Friday, July 09, 2004

Fisking Scheer

In a recent column in the LA Times, Robert Scheer accuses the U.S. of violating the Nuremberg principle and suggests Saddam is being treated unfairly. The article starts,
Even a Tyrant Is Entitled to Due Process

Hussein's trial is shaping up as just U.S. theatrics.


Has anyone noticed that the charges leveled last week against Saddam Hussein bore no relation to the reasons offered by President Bush for his preemptive invasion of Iraq? Not a word about Hussein being linked to terrorist attacks on the United States or having weapons of mass destruction that posed an imminent threat to our nation's security.
As I recall, Bush never linked Saddam to terrorist attacks on the U.S. And Bush said specifically -- in the State of the Union no less -- that the U.S. cannot wait until Iraq is an imminent threat.

But just in case my memory is faulty, I just sent the following inquiry to Mr. Scheer:
Mr Scheer,

I read with interest your recent piece on Hussein's right to due process (http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/opinion/la-oe-scheer6jul06,1,1507698.story).

I am particularly intrigued by the opening of the article, "Has anyone noticed that the charges leveled last week against Saddam Hussein bore no relation to the reasons offered by President Bush for his preemptive invasion of Iraq? Not a word about Hussein being linked to terrorist attacks on the United States..."

For my own research, I'm trying to find a source document where Bush said Hussein was linked to terrrorist attacks on the U.S. Could you please point me in the right direction?

Thank you,
I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Update (Feb 9, 2007): It's been 2-1/2 years; haven't heard anything from Mr. Scheer yet.