Friday, March 31, 2006

"Stop Genocide" rally for Darfur: Why I may not attend

The rabbi at a local reform Jewish temple is trying to recruit people for a rally next month in Washington to raise awareness about the horrors in Darfur--a good and noble cause. Here is an excerpt from a message I sent him today:
... I noticed that the website to which you linked states that "The Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism is coordinating the Movement’s participation." This makes me feel uncomfortable. As I have written you in the past, I feel alienated by the RAC and URJ. I would rather not lend them my implicit endorsement by participating in their activities. I'd feel far better attending the rally if I could be sure my participation would not be connected in any way to the RAC or URJ.

See you at kids' shabbat tomorrow.