Monday, May 30, 2005

Time's Matt Rees replies

Last Thursday I noted math problems in a Time magazine article. The article's author Matt Rees, Time's Jerusalem bureau chief, gracefully acknowledged the error via e-mail ("You're quite right"). He also took the opportunity to plug his book. I'm not holding my breath on a correction from Time. Here is Rees's note:
From: Matthew Rees
Sent: Sunday, May 29, 2005
To: David M
Subject: Re: Math error in recent Matt Rees article about Reuven Adler

Dear David,
You're quite right. Anyway, thanks also for putting the link up to my bio on the website for my book "Cain's Field." Despite my math failings, I can tell you that on amazon.com the book retails for $17.16, a savings of $8.84 on the $26.00 cover price. From a read of your blog, I'd say you'd like the book, which has a take on the Middle East that's quite different from the U.S. media. If you'd like to discuss the book further, please let me know. 73s (means "regards" as we used to write on the wires in the days of telex), Matt
I've been critical of some of Time's Middle East coverage in the past. I'm a bit skeptical about Rees' claim that I'd like his new book, Cain's Field: Faith, Fratricide, and Fear in the Middle East, but I'm willing to give it a try.