Friday, March 24, 2006

The Left on the Yale Taliban

Yale BA and PhD and editor of the New Haven Advocate, Mark Oppenheimer:
It was with only mild interest that I read the Feb. 26 New York Times Magazine article about Rahmatullah Hashemi, the former Taliban diplomat who is now a Yale student. I briefly considered writing about it, then decided that the story would be forgotten by the time our issue hit the streets.

How naíve I was. In the week since, right-wing boobs from O'Reilly to Hannity have been doing their fake-fury thing, asking questions like, "How can the Taliban get into Yale but ROTC can't?"
I like to think he's not representative of the Left in general. But I'm an optimist.

Update: Oppenheimer has now apparently changed his mind. Says his earlier view point was essentially a gut reaction that the right must be wrong.